Leading edge shelters that connect you with Canada’s sublime landscape
By Jane Marshall
You have a vision of waking to bird-song and sipping hot coffee within the embrace of a forest. But perhaps you aren’t so keen on Chapter One of this story: sleeping on a Therm-A-Rest beneath a nylon tent roof. Or perhaps you’re in the mood for an easy natural holiday without the fuss of packing and gear checking.
You’re in luck. Camping has blossomed into fantastic forms — like glamping (glamorous camping). This post is for travellers who want unique and supportive accommodations. Let’s think out-of-the-box (or shall we say, out-of-the-tent!).
Parks Canada has an inspiring array of comfort camping options. Their oTENTik experience means that your shelter is ready to go. Each has 3 beds and can sleep up to 6. Or go nomadic style and try one of their yurts.
Yurt by Alberta Parks
For new and modern options with Parks Canada:
- Think tiny house, camping style
- 10m square
- Double bed, 2 chairs and a table
- In its pilot phase
- Resembles a water droplet
- 6m square
- Located in Fundy National Park
Dinosaur Provincial Park by Alberta Parks
Comfort Camping with Alberta Parks
Our provincial parks also offer comfort camping options such as yurts, canvas wall tents, huts, and cabins.
The idea of simple, dry, easy to use shelters in nature is catching on. How cool would it be to sleep in these locations:
- Le Hobbit in Quebec (it’s an underground hobbit hole lodge!)
- Treehouse in Wardner, BC
- A dangling sphere that hangs from the trees in a BC forest. Click here for a virtual tour of Free Spirit Spheres
- A tipi in Kananaskis with Sundance Lodges. They also have wall tents with cozy bedding. You can wander the banks of the Kananaskis river and enjoy the forest. They even make morning coffee!
Looking for global options? Glamping Hub has unique stays around the world, from a geodesic dome in Thailand to tipis in Tasmania.
Some more ideas to inspire you:
- The Coolest Places to go Glamping in Canada, Chatelaine Magazine
- Glamping with the Family, National Geographic
- The 7 Best Places to go Glamping in Canada, HuffPost